Houses and Flats to Rent in Oxford and Oxfordshire

Oxford is a desirable place to rent a home. It is a thriving city filled with stunning architecture, plenty of shops, restaurants and bars, and fantastic employment and study opportunities. If you're looking to rent a quality property in this area, then you've come to the right place.
At scottfraser our lettings experts will ensure to find the most suitable rental property for your needs. We pride ourselves on our quality portfolio of rental properties and have decades of experience helping all sorts of renters, from students to young professionals to families.
We often get asked questions about the process of renting a property. It is a complicated legal process as well as a big decision for many people. You need to be able to put your trust in the property you rent, the landlord you rent from, and the agent you rent through. We provide clear advice to enable you to have that confidence. If there is anything you wish to know that is not covered on this page please get in touch.

Tenant FAQ

  • How far in advance do I need to reserve a property?

    This depends on your personal circumstances. scottfraser begin marketing properties two to three months before they are available, although student accommodation in Oxford can be offered up to nine months in advance. We would recommend that you give yourself as much time as possible to find the perfect property to avoid disappointment. If you are renting a property already, please check beforehand what length of notice you may have to give to your current landlord.

  • How long can we rent a property for?

    scottfraser usually offer initial fixed term tenancies of between 6 and 24 months. In some cases, tenancies can be drawn up for as little as three months or as long as 36 months. Please speak to our lettings team for more information.

  • Are pets allowed?

    Pets are only allowed with the expressed written consent of the landlord. In blocks of the flats, the Head Lease usually prohibits the keeping of pets. The landlord may also wish to impose certain restrictions or requirements on the tenancy such as a compulsory carpet clean at the end of stay.

  • If I wish to install an extra phone line, broadband or Sky/Cable TV who should I contact?

    Landlord permission is usually required in such cases. If the property is managed by scottfraser, we can make the request on your behalf. It is important that any arrangements are confirmed in writing to avoid any misunderstandings at the end of the tenancy.

  • What type of tenancy agreement will I sign?

    It is likely that you will sign an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. In some cases, for example, if the tenancy is a company rather than individuals, a Common Law Tenancy Agreement is applicable. All agreements are “joint and several” meaning that all tenants are responsible for all the rent.

  • How many sets of keys can I have?

    Each household will receive one complete set of keys plus additional front door keys for all other tenants.

  • What happens if I lose a key?

    If you lose a set of keys, we strongly recommend that the locks are changed. If scottfraser manage the property, please contact your property manager to arrange for this to be done. Your landlord may request that you cover the cost of the work. If you find yourself locked out, you may contact your property manager during office hours.

  • Can I employ a cleaner during my tenancy?

    Yes. Please contact your property manager for more information on our recommended cleaners.

  • Who is responsible for maintaining the garden?

    If you are living in a house rather than a block of flats, please refer to your tenancy agreement to see who is responsible for maintaining the garden. In most cases, this remains your responsibility.

  • Who is responsible for maintaining the communal areas?

    If you live in a block of flats, the block managing agent will be responsible for looking after the communal areas including gardens and parking areas.

  • Who is responsible for repairs if something breaks down?

    The landlord is responsible for the upkeep of appliances they have supplied and systems such as heating and hot water (assuming that the fault has not been caused by misuse or negligence by the tenant). It is your responsibility to inform scottfraser via our online portal (or your landlord if the property is not managed by scottfraser) as quickly as possible in the event of an issue, to prevent the problem escalating. An appropriate contractor will then be instructed to attend. We endeavor to ensure that any problems are rectified as quickly as possible but please bear in mind that this can be subject to contractor availability and, in some cases, parts also.

  • Who do I contact in an emergency?

    If scottfraser manage the property, you need to report all maintenance online. If you are renting a property that is managed by the landlord, we will provide their contact information at the start of the tenancy.

  • Will anyone need to gain access to the property? If so, when?

    Tenants must make the property available to view by the landlord, engineer or scottfraser when requested, provided at least 24 hours notice has been given. In normal circumstances, access will only be needed in the case of maintenance or for scottfraser to perform their routine visits. Also, once it has been confirmed that you will be leaving at the end of your tenancy, you will be asked to provide access for viewings during the last two months of your tenancy.

  • What are routine checks?

    A routine visit is carried out during the tenancy by your property manager or the landlord to ensure that the property is in a good condition and there is no evidence of maintenance issues that may worsen if not dealt with quickly. It is an opportunity to speak to your property manager about any concerns you have and for us to do the same.

Most read advice

Sign in


Free Valuation