Rare opportunity to purchase a beautifully renovated,Grade II Listed 17th/18th Century timber framed freehold detached barn conversion with original dovecote. The barn conversion sits in half an acre of gardens in a delightful riverside setting in a small gated enclave located at the centre of this sought after village. Superbly finished newly converted five bedroom, four bathroom accommodation with separate one bedroom annexe and triple garage. A completely new shell with excellent eco credentials has been sympathetically constructed within the original skin of this historic building. Skilfully converted by renowned local developers Kingerley Homes.
Sutton Courtenay is one of the oldest Parishes in South Oxfordshire, and Manor Barn & Dovecote sits in the former estate of the oldest buildings in the historic village – The Manor House and Norman Hall. It is thought that Empress Matilda, claimant to the throne! was born in the Manor House in 1102. It was her son, Henri II who bequeathed the Manor House and estate to his friend Reginald de Courtenay in 1177. Lying on the south bank of the River Thames the village is well known as being the resting place of George Orwell and Herbert Asquith, Prime Minister during the First World War. The village benefits from a number of local amenities including a Parish Church dating from Norman times, a Post Office, a restaurant, two local shops and three pubs near the Village Green. It is extremely well placed for commuting to London with Didcot Parkway station nearby and was recently named in Country Life’s top 50 places to commute to London. There is an excellent range of schools in the area including Abingdon School, Radley College, St Helens and St Katherine’s and the European School at Culham.
Please call us to discuss the property in more detail and to book a viewing.