Landlord taxation

Rental income is liable to tax. If you are a UK based landlord, scottfraser will remit rental income to you gross, less fees and expenses. You are then responsible for your own tax affairs. Therefore if you are not accustomed to dealing with H M Revenue & Customs (HMRC) or making annual tax returns, we strongly recommend that you employ an accountant on your behalf to deal with this for you.

scottfraser have teamed up with Shaw Gibbs to provide our landlords with tax advise factsheets which may be downloaded using the links below. Shaw Gibbs also offer scottfraser landlords a free of charge one hour consultation. To book please speak to the lettings team who will put you in touch with an advisor.

Tax Matters for Landlords – Popular FAQs

Capital Gains Tax Issues for Landlords – Popular FAQs

Non-Resident (Non-UK) Landlords – Popular FAQs

If you are living abroad, you may be considered to be an overseas landlord and required to register your status with HMRC by completing an NRL1 Form. scottfraser will then add their details to your NRL1 form before submitting it to HMRC on your behalf. Until such time as HMRC confirm that a landlord is registered with them on this basis, scottfraser are legally obliged to deduct tax at the prevailing rate before remitting the balance to you.

From time to time HMRC will also ask us for information relating to rental payments paid to landlords. We are legally obliged to provide them with this information.

For more information on tax matters please contact your local scottfraser office.