There are many properties that will now fall under the definition of a HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation), broadly those occupied by more than three people who form more than one household, but this is open to interpretation by the Local Authority.

Since 6 April 2010, changes implemented by The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) (Amendment) (England) Order 2010 mean that landlords wishing to let their property to professional sharers or students may need to obtain planning permission to change the use classification of their property.

scottfraser offer free of charge advice if your property requires planning permission or falls into the HMO mandatory licence and can assist you with any specific requirements. Our in-house HMO Officer, Charlotte Khan, ensures that our HMO properties comply with any updates to the legislation.


Oxford City Council Contact for HMO Registration:

HMO Licensing Officer

Environmental Health Department

Oxford City Council

Ramsay House

10 St Ebbes Street

Oxford OX1 1PT

Tel: 01865 252837 / HMO WebPage

Download the Oxford City Council Amenities & Facilities Guide for Landlords

Or for quick reference download our HMO Factsheet for Landlords.