The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
It is a criminal offence to let a property with gas appliances, installation and pipe-work that have not been checked by a GAS SAFE registered engineer. The certificate issued lasts for twelve months and must be renewed annually whilst the property remains let.
Our property management team ensure that all current legislation is complied with and fully advise landlords of the requirements. We have negotiated favourable rates for safety testing from reputable local companies and are happy to undertake the organisation of the inspections on behalf of our landlords.
Scottfraser do not commence marketing of any property unless we are in receipt of a valid Gas Safety Certificate. If a landlord chooses to use their own contractor we require proof of their GAS SAFE registration.
Gas Safety Certificates are held on file and a copy is provided to the tenants prior to occupation.
Equally those properties with Oil or Solid Fuel heating must be regularly serviced to ensure their safety.
Update to Carbon Monoxide Legislation
In December 2010 the Health and Safety Executive released a Safety Notice to raise awareness of the potential dangers from certain types of flues connected to gas-fired central heating installations in some properties. Landlords are now obliged to take action before the 31 December 2012.
Where boilers are located away from external walls, flues are more likely to run through ceiling (or wall) voids. In such cases when the gas appliance is serviced or maintained it can be difficult, if not impossible, to determine whether the flue has been installed correctly or whether it is still in good condition.
Unless the gas engineer can make these checks they cannot ensure that the flue from the boiler is safe in order to comply with their legal duties. The engineer therefore will only be able to comply with his legal obligation if appropriate inspection hatches have been installed. Landlords are advised that after 31 December 2012 if the hatches have not been installed the gas engineer will not carry out the inspection.
If the flue is not inspected and a fault overlooked, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) could be released into the living accommodation. CO is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poinsonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels. It stops the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues and organs and can kill quickly, without warning.
If you are concerned about this issue please contact one of our property managers for more information.
Further information regarding Gas Safety may be found at www.hse.gov.uk/gas/