Helen & Douglas House
Helen & Douglas House was set up in response to the need for support for families who have children with life-shortening conditions and respite care for the children themselves.
Helen & Douglas House has the time and expertise to care for children and young adults with life-shortening conditions and support their families. The two hospice houses offer specialist symptom and pain management, medically-supported short breaks and end-of-life care, as well as counselling and practical support for the whole family. Their aim is to help every young person - aged from birth to 35 – who visits them from Oxfordshire and surrounding counties, live life to the full....even when that life is short.
Many of the young people who visit Helen & Douglas House can be isolated and unable to lead independent lives. They rely on their main carer for everything. It often feels that their whole life is dictated by other people – when they go to bed, when they get up, what they do and when they do it. The hospice houses give them the chance to make choices for themselves and experience things they would not normally easily access – such as outings and being with people their own age – but still have the support and specialist care they need.
It costs over £4.5 million every year to run both houses. The charity is dependent on voluntary contributions for over 80% of this. This means they rely almost entirely on the generosity of supporters in the local community to be able to provide sustainable, specialist care for the children and young adults who visit them and support for their families.
30th Anniversary Appeal
Helen & Douglas House are celebrating their 30th birthday this year. Help them celebrate by donating just £5. Text "Live30 £5" to 70070 or visit www.hdh.org.uk to donate online.
Get involved! Here are just a few ways you can help.
- Join the Helen & Douglas House lottery
- Donate to or buy something in one of our shops
- Make a regular donation
- Fundraise at your workplace
- Volunteer your time
- Organise your own fundraising activity, or event – from very small to big, it can make a HUGE difference!
- Take part in one of their organised events - look at the events calendar at www.helenanddouglas.org.uk, or contact them direct on T: 01865 799150 E: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Keep an eye out for the latest events scottfraser are taking part in and sponsor us!
- 21st September, Syon Park, Richmond - Forget-me-not Ball
- 29th September, Friends of Yattendon School - Party in the Barn
- 3rd October, Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa - Warren Clarke's Celebrity Golf Day
- 6th & 7th October, The Glass House, Waddesdon Plant Centre - Artists & Makers Fair
Helen & Douglas House are looking for volunteers to help with the following events. If you are able to help, or want to take part in the event itself please contact email@example.com
- Oxford Half Marathon - 14th October. Marshalls required throughout the day to help direct the runners around the course. Email Kate firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
For more information please visit www.helenanddouglas.org.uk. Follow Helen & Douglas House on Facebook and Twitter.
Registered Charity Number 1085951